An auto accident can be one of the most stressful experiences that any of us can have. It is important to stay calm and gather the proper information to ensure that your insurance claim is handled properly.
- Carry a traffic safety kit with cones, flares or other signaling device to warn oncoming traffic.
- Carry a first aid kit in case of injuries.
- Keep a pen, your registration and insurance card in a safe place that is easily accessible.
- Stay Calm
- Observe your surroundings for any hazards such as:
- On coming traffic
- leaking gas
- If the accident is minor, move your vehicle to a safe location
- Utilize your hazard lights and traffic cones or flares
- Call the Police, no matter how minor
Gather the Proper Information
- Be Polite
- Get the other driver’s information:
- Phone Number
- Drivers License Number
- Insurance Policy Number and Name of Insured
- License Plate
- Make and Model of Car
- Take Photos
- Get Witnesses’ Contact Info
- Make Notes About the Accident